What is TOMMAS?
TOMMAS (the Texas Organization of Multilingual Multicultural Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
TOMMAS provides leadership, advocacy, and support for multilingual-multicultural professionals serving individuals with communication impairments from culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) populations. The corporation is organized for charitable, scientific, and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)3 of the International Revenue Code of 1986 (the “Code”), and the Texas Tax Code, Section 11.18.
The mission and purpose of TOMMAS is to provide leadership, advocacy, and support for multicultural, multilingual professionals serving individuals with communicative impairments from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) backgrounds.
The organization goals include:
- To create and disseminate information about best practices in assessment and intervention.
- To support research in the areas of normal and impaired communication.
- To create a network for information exchange.
- To develop and promote continuing education opportunities.
- To provide education to the public.
- To promote certification and/or specializations, including Bilingual Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists.
- To recruit and mentor students for the purpose of retaining bilingual individuals in the profession.